[FFmpeg-user] Guide to denoise VHS videos

Ulf Zibis Ulf.Zibis at CoSoCo.de
Thu Apr 15 16:51:25 EEST 2021

Am 12.04.21 um 08:53 schrieb Michael Koch:
> Am 12.04.2021 um 00:39 schrieb Ulf Zibis:
>>
>> My question is not about head-switching effects, it mainly is about temporal noise. E.G., there is the hqdn3d filter, which can do both, spacial and temporal denoise. But I'm missing some guidance about using the parameters and in comparision to other denoise filters.
>
> See here:
> http://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-user/2019-October/045838.html
Thanks for this great link. It shows (Oct. 2019):

atadenoise: very fast, temporal only with no motion compensation; LGPL
hqdn3d: fast, both spatial and temporal, does basically lowpass by destroying high frequencies, blurs with extreme settings; GPL
nlmeans: very slow, currently implemented as spatial only, algorithm considered as one of the state of art denoisers; LGPL
bm3d: very very slow, currently implemented as spatial only, algorithm considered as one of the state of art denoisers; LGPL
vaguedenoiser: slow, spatial only, pretty good, wavelet; LGPL
dctdnoiz: very very slow: spatial only, blurs too much; LGPL
fftdnoiz: slow, spatial and limited temporal, using Fast Fourier Transform, may have introduce ringing with bad settings; LGPL
owdenoise: very very very slow, spatial only, wavelet; GPL
removegrain: fast, spatial only, limited usecase

I'm wondering that there is no filter, which uses motion compensation for the temporal denoising ... or does one exist in newer versions of ffmpeg?

I also would like, if there is a guide on the plenty settings of those filters ... somewhere in the net.

-Ulf