[FFmpeg-user] Can FFmpeg Record Video On Linux Using V4L2 in V4L2_CAP_VIDEO_CAPTURE_MPLANE Mode?

Bossert Andrew BossertAndrew at JohnDeere.com
Wed Apr 28 16:17:25 EEST 2021

Hello,

I am trying to use FFmpeg to save an Analog Video stream to a file on Linux. My video device is a V4L2 device and I have tried a couple different commands:

$ ffmpeg -f v4l2 -list_formats all -i /dev/video1  # Look at device information

$ ffmpeg -f v4l2 -framerate 25 -video_size 640x480 -i /dev/video0 output.mkv  # save the video

I get the following output with both commands

[video4linux2,v4l2 @ 0xcbbd4f0] Not a video capture device.
/dev/video1: No such device

I see here (https://github.com/FFmpeg/FFmpeg/blob/master/libavdevice/v4l2.c#L172) that v4l2 devices need to support V4L2_CAP_VIDEO_CAPTURE to open. My device does not support V4L2_CAP_VIDEO_CAPTURE but it does support V4L2_CAP_VIDEO_CAPTURE_MPLANE. Does FFmpeg have support for V4L2_CAP_VIDEO_CAPTURE_MPLANE?

~ Andrew