[FFmpeg-user] Filter documentation -- PTSs

Michael Koch astroelectronic at t-online.de
Mon Feb 15 15:58:15 EET 2021

Jim,

> I am in the camp that believes that the measure of adequate FFmpeg
> documentation is that it describes what an FFmpeg user needs to know
> about the behaviour of that filter, in all respects, without having to
> read the source code. By that measure, I believe that FFmpeg's
> documentation for almost all filters is inadequate.

I absolutely agree to this. But as a non-developer it's hopeless to
contribute to the official documentation. A few developers (not all!)
are actively fighting against any changes in the documentation. It seems
they are really convinced that the documentation is perfect as it is.

> The documentation I wrote for the fps filter might be a useful case
> study: <http://blog.jdlh.com/en/2020/04/30/ffmpeg-fps-documented/
> <http://blog.jdlh.com/en/2020/04/30/ffmpeg-fps-documented/>>. (The
> case study is not limited to PTSs.)

That's very good. Please add it to the Wiki!
https://trac.ffmpeg.org/

Michael