[FFmpeg-user] PTS resolution

Mark Filipak (ffmpeg) markfilipak at bog.us
Tue Feb 23 23:44:53 EET 2021

On 2021-02-23 13:56, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> Am Di., 23. Feb. 2021 um 06:39 Uhr schrieb Mark Filipak (ffmpeg)
> <markfilipak at bog.us>:
>
>> at least out of the encoder, ffmpeg encodes frames with PTS resolution = 1ms.
>
> (Since people may be reading this)
> To quote Wolfgang Pauli, above is not even wrong.

I'm not familiar with Wolfgang Pauli, but I assume you consider "at least out of the encoder, ffmpeg
encodes frames with PTS resolution = 1ms" to be more than wrong.

Okay, I'm happy to be wrong if it brings progress toward my objective. May I ask, what does "1k tbn"
really mean? I have presumed that it's from the encoder and indicates an encoder clock of 1kHz (so,
a time resolution of 1ms). If that is wrong, then what is the encoder output clock and resolution?

Thank you, Carl Eugen,
Mark.