[FFmpeg-user] Issue when adding a title to an audio stream within a mp4 file

PPRJ01 pprj01 at orange.fr
Wed Feb 24 18:37:18 EET 2021

Hello All,

I'm not a developper. Therefore I'm not able to analyze the ffmpeg/ffprobe source code.

I observed that the command below seem to work properly when adding a title to an audio stream within an MP4 file :

      ffmpeg -i INPUT.mp4 -c copy -metadata:s:a:0 "title=mono" OUTPUT.mp4

Both VLC and Exiftool do display correctly the audio stream title of the OUTPUT.mp4 file when needed.

The point is that neither ffmpeg nor ffprobe can do it.

For example, the command : ffmpeg -i OUTPUT.mp4 (with no output file) do not show the audio title.

I don't know where ffmpeg stores the title metadata but VLC and Exiftool are able to retrieve it.

Maybe this is a designed behavior of ffmpeg/ffprobe.

Or a bug ?

Please let me know.