[FFmpeg-user] Troublemaker in bugtracker

Carl Zwanzig cpz at tuunq.com
Sun Jan 24 21:04:00 EET 2021

On 1/24/2021 1:37 AM, Paul B Mahol wrote:
> People should just ignore Carl Zwanzing and Phil Rhodes entries after all.
(please spell my name correctly)

Again, a statement without evidence or explanation, worth approximately
nothing (ref the Latin proverb "quod grātīs asseritur, grātīs negātur" -
"What is asserted gratuitously may be denied gratuitously").

> They will eventually leave when they see they can not influence users.

Also lacking evidence, I've been on this list for, oh, at least 3 years;
still here. Given that I actually discuss things with list members and
occasionally help solve their problems, I think the "can not influence" is
false. Paul is also unaware of the discussions that start on the list and
are taken private.

follow our Code of Conduct." and links to it.

The Code of Conduct (https://ffmpeg.org/developer.html#Code-of-conduct)-
==start==
Be friendly and respectful towards others and third parties. Treat others
the way you yourself want to be treated.

Be considerate. Not everyone shares the same viewpoint and priorities as you
do. Different opinions and interpretations help the project. Looking at
issues from a different perspective assists development.

Do not assume malice for things that can be attributed to incompetence. Even
if it is malice, it’s rarely good to start with that as initial assumption.

Stay friendly even if someone acts contrarily. Everyone has a bad day once
in a while. If you yourself have a bad day or are angry then try to take a
break and reply once you are calm and without anger if you have to.

Try to help other team members and cooperate if you can.

The goal of software development is to create technical excellence, not for
any individual to be better and "win" against the others. Large software
projects are only possible and successful through teamwork.

If someone struggles do not put them down. Give them a helping hand instead
and point them in the right direction.

Finally, keep in mind the immortal words of Bill and Ted, "Be excellent to
each other."
==end==

I try to follow those all the time; it's unfortunately that not everyone does.

Later,

z!