[FFmpeg-user] Troublemaker in bugtracker

Mark Filipak (ffmpeg) markfilipak at bog.us
Tue Jan 26 04:24:36 EET 2021

On 01/25/2021 08:51 PM, Jim DeLaHunt wrote:
> On 2021-01-25 16:30, Paul B Mahol wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jan 26, 2021 at 1:18 AM Phil Rhodes via ffmpeg-user <
>> ffmpeg-user at ffmpeg.org> wrote:
>>> … When you have people who
>>> are determined to treat others with contempt and hostility as a matter of
>>> course, who reject even the most well-meaning offers of help with the most
>>> pressing issues, who almost seem to make a science out of deliberate,
>>> studied unpleasantness, something strange is going on.
>>> More than annoying, it's weird. I've never once in my life encountered
>>> anything like this. It's completely unnecessary, completely
>>> self-destructive, and appears to gain nothing for anyone.
>> Yes, we need to use only corporate code.
>
> Come on, Paul, that is a silly reply. You are saying that the only alternative to FFmpeg's present
> situation is to use corporate code (proprietary licences)? That claim is not logical: there is no
> reason why use of a free software licence requires project insiders to be hostile and destructive to
> each other, or to their users. And it is disproved by evidence: there are many free software
> projects where the insiders behave more kindly and constructively, my favourite example being Python.
>
> Taken on its face, your reply seems to show a belief that no better culture is even possible for the
> FFmpeg project. That attitude is itself "completely unnecessary, completely self-destructive, and
> appears to gain nothing for anyone."

Really, Jim, you're not helping. You would be well served by not making assumptions. What if Paul is
actually being helpful, that in his eyes, his comments are cogent.

How would you feel if someone second guessed what you wrote? I know you think you are careful when
crafting replies (and I think so, too) but Paul thinks he's being careful, too. You can't assume
that he has malice at heart. I mean, give him space to explain the cryptic things he writes. English
is not his first language.

--
Someone's sneaking in and turning up the range so that my food burns.
I'm sure of it.