[FFmpeg-user] Next Release

Phil Rhodes phil_rhodes at rocketmail.com
Tue Jan 26 21:33:50 EET 2021

 On Tuesday, 26 January 2021, 19:10:38 GMT, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:

> Do you realise how toxic you make the FFMPEG community look?

To answer your last point first, either they don't know how toxic it looks, or they don't care. It's been like this for so long that if it's an elaborate trolling attempt it's a very, very determined one. Either way it's horrible and I regret that it exists, but nobody in authority seems willing to do anything about it.

As regards the issue of release versions, the way I usually do it is to download a statically-built executable. As a windows person I'd invariably do this anyway; I have built ffmpeg on windows but it's a real hurt in the hiney. There are usually executables available which presumably represent "current git head" as it existed at some point in time. It's anecdotal, but I've never had a problem with these. You can update at will, or keep your known-good setup together for the price of simply including that executable file.

There are, as I understand it, a number of potential legal problems with distributing that, since it is quite difficult to obtain a set of source files that are known to be symmetrical with the executable you have. It's even more difficult to prove that any particular set of source files are symmetrical with any particular executable. Still, it seems to be more or less tolerated on the basis that as a purely practical matter, anyone who wants the source to ffmpeg would download it anyway.