[FFmpeg-user] triming an audio wavfile

Robert Jeffares jeffares.robert at gmail.com
Sun Jun 13 08:53:33 EEST 2021

Hi PP,

assuming the wav file plays ok the following works here

SOURCE=path/to/your/input/file

HEADNUM=how far from the *START* of the file you want to start in seconds

TAILNUM=how far from the *START* of the file you want to end in seconds.

you may have 0 and 60

ffmpeg -hide_banner -loglevel error -i $SOURCE -ss $HEADNUM -to
$TAILNUM  somedesiredoutput.wav

If this does not work you may have a wav file that is carrying data in
chunks at one or other end.

or is a wav container which has something ffmpeg won't play with.

https://downloads.avaya.com/elmodocs2/cmapi/docs/api/doc-files/G729WaveFileFormat.html

suggests you need to find a converter to make the g729 into something
user friendly.

regards

Robert