[FFmpeg-user] Problems controlling sws-scale dithering.

Steinar Apalnes steipal at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 11:14:19 EEST 2021

Hi,

I'm having difficulty controlling dithering when video bit depth goes down.
The following command illustrates the problem:

ffplay.exe -f lavfi -i mandelbrot -sws_dither none -vf
scale=sws_dither=none,format=rgb8

I'm just using ffplay to visually show the undesired effect. Normal
operation would be with ffmpeg but the outcome is the same in both cases.
The image goes down from 8 bit to 3 bit per component and is dithered, even
though I'm trying to turn it off dithering. So I'm interested in
controlling dithering in the sws-scaler in general but cannot find the
means to do it. Either it's not working properly or I'm doing something
wrong.

-steinar