[FFmpeg-user] 4K Way to large to stream

Rob Hallam ffmpeg at roberthallam.com
Wed Jun 30 00:28:17 EEST 2021

Glad you have enough info to proceed at your own pace. At the risk of
straying a little off-topic, I'll make a couple more very brief
suggestions, do with them what you will!

On Tue, 29 Jun 2021 at 18:31, <rbarnes at njdevils.net> wrote:
> Rob Wrote:
> >Is there a reason it needs to be preserved as '4K', specifically?
>
> I would like this to be the final storage of the Family video.

Of course, it makes sense to store the original in as high a quality
as your budget allows. I would say that; I do the same!

However what I would say is:

- it might be possible to achieve a significant file size saving after
a 'perceptually lossless' transcode. I have a relatively old GoPro and
seem to recall saving a decent amount when I transcoded, though I
suspect newer generations of GoPro may be better. More file size
reductions translate nicely to cost savings- storage costs are
non-trivial, especially if you have redundant backups -- you have
redundant backups, right? (that phrase is a reflex!) May be worth
investigating for the master copy.

- your end users probably don't need to watch the original master
copy. Grandma may have a surprisingly high throughput pipe, but it
might be nice if you had a version which you could (say) call up on
your phone over cellular data while vacationing your friends way out
in the boonies.

Good luck with your project!

Cheers,
Rob