[FFmpeg-user] FFmpeg list footer

Peter White peter.white at posteo.net
Tue Mar 9 13:23:55 EET 2021

Let me throw in my very humble two cents.

On Tue, Mar 09, 2021 at 12:05:05PM +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 09.03.21 um 11:48 schrieb mX:
> > Can someone with list admin access (admins at foot of this email) please update the footer for this mailing list to assist new posters - because few people read the list FAQ and the devs and regulars spend too much time reminding posters of the list rules. I'm suggesting the following but please discuss:
> >
> > <footer>
> >
> > . Do not top-post i.e. reply *below* last thread message.
> > . Include complete terminal command/all information.
> > . Include uncut console output (trim excess/repeating lines).
> > . Upload sample video to public servers and include a link.
> > . Delete all footers, sigs, other junk before replying.

> > To unsubscribe, visit link above, or email
> > ffmpeg-user-request at ffmpeg.org with subject "unsubscribe".
> >
> > </footer>
>
> sorry, but i fell insulted when i get explained how to walk on each and
> every mail bottom

I wouldn't. It is just an additional set of reminders which anybody who
knows how to work can happily ignore.

> how do you even think that would help?

Maybe it would reduce the number of people doing this.

> look at that bunch of idiots which repleatly ignore the "don't top post" and
> how do you imagine would a list-footer with the sentence change that
>
> look at the bunch of idiots quoting the list footer 1,,2 or even 3 times in
> their replies and you see they don't give a shit
>
> look at the bunch of idiots taking a random message, press reply-all and
> change the subject to "unsubscribe"

Yes, there will always be those that ignore everything. But I think
there are some who are just new or unfamiliar with the style of mailing
lists. If only some of those read the footer and act accordingly, there
would be less of those reminder messages.

> so in the real world the bunch of idiots with no brain and no capabilities
> for operate a mail client don't give a shit whatever spam you place at the
> bottom of each mail

I think it is not about that bunch of idiots but about the ignorant ones
(as in: "sorry, didn't know that").

> you only insult the others explaining them daily how to walk

Do you really think that? I, for one, do not even notice the footer
anymore, since I know its content. Maybe other subscribers do the same.

Peter