[FFmpeg-user] How to get he total number of frames

Peter White peter.white at posteo.net
Tue Mar 9 13:34:48 EET 2021

On Tue, Mar 09, 2021 at 12:13:53PM +0100, Nicolas George wrote:
> Peter White (12021-03-09):
> > Unless it happens to be one of those special cases that don't have that
> > info in their metadata, like matroska:
>
> Did I suggest to limit to the output of -show_format or -show_streams?

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend.

> > Other than being a little ugly, my way seems to yield the correct result
> > with any video. I like universal solutions, so I stuck with it, and
> > recommended it.
>
> FFprobe yields the correct result, and in a cleaner way. Just use it
> properly.

Is there a proper universal way to do this with ffprobe that does not
take ages to complete? Honest question.

Plus, the ffmpeg command is relatively easy, if one uses ffmpeg on a
regular basis. OTOH I seldomly use ffprobe, as do many of the other
users, I suspect, so ffmpeg comes more natural.

Peter