[FFmpeg-user] [FPGA HEVC Encode Plugin] Tutorial and Performance Review

Dennis Mungai dmngaie at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 10:09:35 EET 2021

On Fri, 19 Mar 2021, 10:56 tai truong, <truongktai at live.com> wrote:

> Hi every one,
>
>   Sorry for my first naive question. As googling, I found some talk about
> fpga hevc encode plugin for ffmpeg from Xilinx. Is there anyone have work
> on it? Some result/benchmark on performance either for suggestions and
> views. Thank you very much.
>
> Best regards,
> Tai Truong

Hello Tai,

You're most likely referring to the NGCodec FPGA product on AWS, correct?

To the best of my knowledge, it's only accessible on AWS. I'll investigate
further and report back on performance , etc.

The possibility of that being in a commercial product outside AWS is quite
low, so I wouldn't put too much hope into seeing it integrated into
workflows outside AWS.

I've also been looking at Broadcom's VKIL ("Valkyrie"), a PCIe based
offload accelerator for video transcoding currently in use at Facebook and
elsewhere. You may find patchwork on this mailing list from one or more
Broadcom employees on the same. From the look of things, this hardware nah
soon be available to the general public and data center integrators for
video transcode offload accelerators, in a fashion similar to Intel's (now
deprecated) Visual Compute Accelerator.