[FFmpeg-user] Cutting out part of a video does not work

Cecil Westerhof Cecil at decebal.nl
Fri Mar 26 20:02:13 EET 2021

Carl Zwanzig <cpz at tuunq.com> writes:

> On 3/26/2021 9:28 AM, Cecil Westerhof via ffmpeg-user wrote:
>
>> No, that I cannot do. I cannot publish stuff containing other people.
>
> Well you -can-, may not want to.

I used cannot in the sense that I am not allowed to. ;-)

>> There is only one problem. The video is 7:21 long, but both mpv and
>> vlc think it is 7:30 long.
>
> IME, the metadata length often lies. When you say it's 7:21, is that
> exactly how long it plays for or how long it ought to be?

I almost never have this. (If I remember well, only with videos
created with ffmpeg. Sometimes it started on a negative timestamp
instead of 00:00:00.)

Looking at the -to you would expect 7:22, but when I just play it, it
ends at 7:21.

>> ffprobe version 4.1.6-1~deb10u1 Copyright (c) 2007-2020 the FFmpeg developers
>
> That's an older version, even though it wouldn't help on this, it's
> always best to check with as current as you can get.

I am using Debian (stable). That always uses older versions.
I could look if there is a newer version in backports.

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer