[FFmpeg-user] Mal-formed MP4s from Blue Iris won't play on Apple Silicon Macs. Diagnose ffprobe output?

Anatoly anatoly at kazanfieldhockey.ru
Thu Feb 9 18:09:37 EET 2023

Hello,
On Wed, 8 Feb 2023 16:11:39 -0800
Steven Kan <steven at kan.org> wrote:

> > On Feb 7, 2023, at 10:56 PM, Ferdi Scholten <ferdi at sttc-nlp.nl>
> > wrote:
> >
> > I have a Windows PC running Blue Iris security camera software, and
> > it has a "Direct-to-disc" option whereby it records video straight
> > from each camera's h.264 RTSP stream without transcoding, to reduce
> > CPU and HDD utilization. There is some re-packaging involved, and I
> > think that's where the problem may lie.
But are you sure that there is re-packaging?
What if capture camera stream with ffmpeg itself?
...snip...
> Can anyone inspect those macroblocks in these failing files and help
> us understand the root cause?
h264 structures are very complex. I think that would be simpler to
start with comparing exactly same frames ('Blue Iris' and ffmpeg
dumping camera stream at the same time) of original camera stream
(ffmpeg) and 're-packaged' ('Blue Iris')