[FFmpeg-user] Is there a way to determine the level of compression

Cecil Westerhof Cecil at decebal.nl
Wed Jun 7 12:27:51 EEST 2023

Cecil Westerhof via ffmpeg-user <ffmpeg-user at ffmpeg.org> writes:

> Bouke / Videotoolshed <bouke at videotoolshed.com> writes:
>
>>> On 5 Jun 2023, at 11:59, Cecil Westerhof via ffmpeg-user <ffmpeg-user at ffmpeg.org> wrote:
>>>
>>>  I was told it was because the low quality of my videos. But
>>> this file was significantly compressed. So I would expect slower to
>>> compress better. Not the case: that creates a 365.3 MB file. So about
>>> a third larger.
>>>
>>> <00007slower.log>
>>
>> Your input is interlaced and you probably want a progressive output.
>> You did NOT de-interlace.
>>
>> That makes (when there is motion) it way more complicated, and it will look plain ugly.
>> Try it with yadif or something else, see if that makes a difference.
>
> That is new for me. I am now trying it out with also incorporating
> '-vf yadif'. I will keep the group posted.
>
> By the way: I do not see difference between the input file and the
> generated output files. But then again: I am not a real video editor.

Sadly that is again something that does not help. I think that it
takes a lot more time and both become about 1% bigger. Slower takes
290 minutes of CPU and is 369.4 MB, while veryfast generates a 290.3
MB file and takes 46 minutes of CPU.
So it seems yadif is not necessary and it is better to use veryfast as
slower.

A few years ago someone created a website to share these counter
intuitive results, but I cannot find the page.

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer