[FFmpeg-user] Question about encoding DVCPRO50

Phil Rhodes phil_rhodes at rocketmail.com
Wed Jun 21 21:33:06 EEST 2023

 On Wednesday, 21 June 2023 at 19:23:17 BST, Hamza El farissi <smexxxrecords at gmail.com> wrote:

 >>Not to ask too obvious a question here, but is it sufficient just to
request the dvvideo codec and set the pixel format and bitrate in that
manner?
>>Is the dvvideo codec smart enough to know to produce DVCPRO50 in these
circumstances?

>I tried it and it doesn't work, it gives you a DVCPRO25 file.
That's what I'd expect it to do, unless it's expressly documented somewhere that dvvideo understands how to produce DVCPRO50. Presumably, at a low level, DVCPRO50 is in some way technologically related to the 25-megabit DV formats, just for ease of implementation on cameras. Still, the pixel format differences alone would require a significantly different code path for DVCPRO50.
The only references to this I can find is some discussion from about four years ago about DVCPROHD. At that time, apparently, ffmbc could produce DVCPROHD, whereas mainstream ffmpeg could not.