[FFmpeg-user] The Guild

Nicolas George george at nsup.org
Mon Feb 5 10:31:37 EET 2024

David Niklas (12024-02-04):
> Mark was good enough to privately email me

Sorry for you.

> And here I was looking forwards to the day when I could support FLOSS
> devs after getting a job... sadness.
> How do you know the money only comes from companies?

He does not.

But unfortunately it happens to be true right now for FFmpeg.

In the recent years, the part of paid-for contributors has increased in
the project and eventually the guys who caused the libav fork have
managed to leverage this into a majority in the voting assembly and the
committees, and are now behaving as if they own the project.

So the recent change, where you seen fewer and fewer original features
that cannot be found in any other project and serve a few users, will
continue. They have broken hard-burning subtitles from the same stream,
they have broken and are about to remove the SDL and OpenGL output
devices.

Because they are not interested in these fringe features that serve only
a few users but are absolutely necessary for them. They are interested
in basic maintenance, wrappers for hardware (proprietary) decoders. So
expect to have only that in FFmpeg in the future.

RIP FFmpeg. You were a good project to have fun hacking on.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George