[FFmpeg-user] Why are these different?

Mark Filipak markfilipak.imdb at gmail.com
Sun Feb 11 21:50:36 EET 2024

On 11/02/2024 14.28, Paul B Mahol wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 11, 2024 at 7:12 PM Mark Filipak <markfilipak.imdb at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 11/02/2024 13.09, Bouke / Videotoolshed wrote:
>>> So do you, so why ask the question?
>>> Now go away!
>>
>> I do not know the answer.
>>

> In most cases you will get in most times different results for those 2
> variants.

Help me to understand, Paul.

If '-ss' precedes '-i', then one set of code is run, but if '-i' precedes '-ss', then a differing
set of code is run.

Is that statement correct?

> Only for perfect containers and perfect implementations it will give same
> result in every case.

Well, I wish I knew how to test whether the M2TS that's on disc is a perfect stream, and if not, how
to fix it before doing any trimming.

Aside: Though the actual source file is called 00305.m2ts, it appears to have only a program stream
(PS); it does not contain a TS header. I checked other M2TS files on other discs. None of them
actually have TSs.

Regards,
Mark.