[FFserver-user] the server crashes when runing shell script that starts ffserver

Anthony Brown av at bsbc.nb.ca
Wed Apr 6 13:47:40 CEST 2011

On 11-04-06 06:09 AM, Victor Petrescu wrote:

> The problem is that when the cron is runned the system crashes (actually
> I not really crashes the stream (witch I see from another computer) is
> working perfectly but I can't do anything on the machine. The screen
> becomes black and I can't do anything except to restart it). I have a
> script that kills the anterior processes. If I uses it the stream stops,
> but I still don't regain access to the system (same black screeen
> whatever I do).

I'm slightly surprised that it even runs at all: in my experience,
ffmpeg gets upset if it loses it's console.  I think that sends it a
SIGHUP and then it stops.

My usual solution for running ffmpeg in a cron job is to use nohup.  It
also avoids having to route ffmpeg's verbiage to /dev/null and saves it
in a file in case you want to see what went wrong.

On a totally unrelated note, one other thing I do with scripting
ffserver stuff is to run the ffmpeg task by turning it into an upstart
job.  That way, when it crashes it can be respawned and I don't lose my
feed.  It's also possible to run it inside a while forever sort of loop.
  I have found that the ffmpeg task often gets upset with incoming
streams (at least with the one I send it which, as I have mentioned
before is HDV over firewire from my camera ingested into VLC on a WinXP
box and sent by http to ffmpeg/ffserver).  I routinely get "non-monotone
timestamp errors" which abort ffmpeg.  Putting it in an upstart job
works around that problem.  Now instead of losing the feed entirely, all
I get is a short glitch.

A/B

--

Anthony Brown