[FFserver-user] live video streaming to many users ?

nandan amar nandan.amar at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 11:30:52 CET 2012

On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 3:50 PM, informatique lycee Pays-de-Retz <
adminrezo.0441992b at ac-nantes.fr> wrote:

> hello,
>
> I am looking for a technical solution to make live video-streaming to
> many users (almost) simultaneously
>
> Because of the risk of traffic-jam on the connexion-link of the server,
> my idea so solve this risk is to create a cascaded architecture :
>
> - 1  video-station is sending  initial stream to 1 top-level-server
> - 10-30  2nd-level servers get the stream from the top-level server :
> act as relay-server
> - 20-50  3rd-level servers receive the stream from every second-level
> server  (this makes 30 x 50  = 1500 servers) : act as relay-server
> - customers are on the 4rth level : about 100 customers per 3rd-level
> server
>
> second-level and third-level servers are on ADSL connexions
>
> so I have 3 questions :
> 1) level 1 :  do ffmpeg and ffserver necessary have to be on the same
> computer ? or is it possible to put a network-link between those 2
> applications ?

Yes This is possible.
You can feed  video stream to ffserver  as :
ffmpeg -i <input_video_file> http://
<server_address>:<port_no_where_server_is_listening>/<file.ffm>

2) level 2 and 3 : is it possible to build this cascade architecture
> with ffmpeg and ffserver ? that means create relay-servers based on
> ffmpeg and ffserver ?
>
> This looks like bit difficult and may not be possible as ffserver needs
feed in advance.
So cascading may work but delay may be an issue.

> 3) what is the best and reliable encoding for this (video 352x288
> 10-15fps +   audio 10 kHz) ?
>
> Thanks for any technical help

 what is your streaming media type.
If it is  normal movie 25 fps sud work and CIF (352x288) for not so great
as HD kind of quality.

> --
> Xavier COUDIN - coordinateur informatique
> Lycée Pays-de-Retz, 44210 Pornic, gsm 06 80 28 40 53

Amar Kumar Nandan
Karnataka, India, 560100
☎:+91-9019054471
✉:nandan.amar at gmail.com