[Libav-user] Noise while seeking in mp3 files.

Prunk Dump prunkdump at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 13:04:29 CEST 2011

When seeking in a mp3 file, the decoder produce a noise depending of
when the seek is done. This is illustrated in the attached file
"audioBitStream.jpg".

->If I seek to timestamp 0 while playing “hight” sound, a noise is
clearly visible when I restart decoding (see first stereo stream :
dump10noise.raw)

->If I seek to timestamp 0 while playing “silence”, no noise is
produced (see second stereo stream : dump10clear.raw)

So it seems that  avcodec_flush_buffers doesn't completely flush all
the buffers of the codec. We see that it keep track of the last
decoded sound.

So is this a bug ? Or it's me that have I missed something?