[Libav-user] how to continue to read growing flv file after first eof?

Alex Cohn alexcohn at netvision.net.il
Sun Aug 28 11:40:40 CEST 2011

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 16:37, Zsolt V <vtkzsolt at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The problem is that I start reading the flv file before it is finished. When
> av_read_frame reaches EOF, it will not continue any more, even if new data
> arrive later. This is because av_find_stream_info reads the packets into a
> buffer at the beginning (when the flv file is small), and when the end of
> this buffer is reached, it is not updated, no new data are added to it. I
> did not find the solution how to update the buffer, or how to treat the file
> as an endless stream.

You can create a custom reader that never reports EOF and pipes its
input to ffmpeg.

I see one problem with treating the file as endless stream - your
process will never know when to stop. Most likely, your reader should
be smarter and recognize the situation when the input flv is not
appended anymore (maybe, set a timeout for a couple of frame periods).

Sincerely,
Alex