[Libav-user] latency of mpegts handling in libavformat

כרמל מגן carmel.work at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 19:12:23 CEST 2011

Hello
I have been integrating mpeg2 transport stream support into an application
I'm developing using libavformat.
After successfully transmitting my video (h.264 frames encoded by the
calling application) and receiving it, I did some latency testing.
To my surprise, I calculated 80 ms between the time that I finished sending
the frame in one process (av_write_frame returns) until I finish receiving
it in the second process (av_read_frame returns and the packet contains the
same frame).
To identify the frame I used the pts field of the packet. (i.e I printed the
time when sending together with the pts of the frame, and then the time of
receiving together with the pts of the frame, and then calculated the
difference).
This was tested using multicast transmission between 2 processes on the same
computer (on two different machines sitting on different networks) so I
don't believe network latency can account for it.
Can anybody explain what might be taking all that time and how I can reduce
it? My application demands very low latency.

Thanks

Carmel