[Libav-user] Documentation

Stefano Sabatini stefano.sabatini-lala at poste.it
Thu Jul 28 12:06:58 CEST 2011

On date Tuesday 2011-07-26 12:49:41 +0100, George Sharara encoded:
> Hi
>
> As far as open source projects go, I have to say FFMPEG is in the
> running for the worst documented project I have ever come
> across.

FFmpeg is a volunteer based project, no one is payed for working on
it, that said we try to do our best, and you can help by contributing
(patches, support, etc.).

> For a project as large and complicated as it is, one would
> expect a good level of developer documentation.  Merely listing
> method signatures does not serve as documentation.

Did you check .h headers? Most functions are properly documented in
their corresponding header.

> Furthermore, you
> don't even have a sample code on your OWN site. I have had to hop
> from site to site looking for sample code, and where I have found
> it, in never compiles (WHY? Because none of it is up to date). It
> seems many methods have been deprecated recently but no information
> exists on how to implement the new functions.

check doc/examples, compile them with make (you need to install FFmpeg
before to do it). In Windows things could be more complicated.