[Libav-user] Question about the libraries' naming and rule #16

Hendrik Leppkes h.leppkes at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 08:24:33 CEST 2011

Hi,

On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 2:19 AM, Soltic Lucas <soltic.lucas at gmail.com> wrote:

> From what you say, I suppose I shouldn't even care for that kind of issue, and should statically link my library against FFmpeg, as LGPL is not a problem to me. Actually I'm getting a bit lost between those who say it's possible, and those who say it's not (easily).

If your code is (L)GPL itself, then you really don't need to worry
about this much. Include the GPL license file, mention that you're
using ffmpeg under the (L)GPL, and link it the way you prefer to. You
should probably mention against which version your program was linked,
and provide any changes you applied to ffmpeg (if any at all).

The Rules on the Legal page are meant for software thats closed-source
itself and wants to use ffmpeg under the LGPL. This is a more
complicated matter, and then you need to go by that checklist much
more closely.

- Hendrik