[Libav-user] Take advantage of CPU in decoding MPEG2 / H264

Kirill Gavrilov gavr.mail at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 13:34:16 CEST 2011

Hello Jérémy,

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 1:16 PM, Jérémy <jeremy.lauraire at gmail.com> wrote:

> Take advantage of CPU in decoding MPEG2 / H264

I am actually writing an app that uses libavcodec to take fully advantage of
> my
> NVidia graphic card (GeForce ENGTX470) to decode MPEG2 / H264 videos...

You probably means GPU nor CPU.

The app work well but the CPU is still used and no work seems to be done by
> the
> grahique card.... :/

Graphic card should render the video isn't it ;)?

Here is part of my code :

The main problem is that most GPU-accelerated video decoding APIs strongly
interleaved with rendering decoded result.
Using FFmpeg you can use some system/vendor specific APIs but you will be
obligated to adopt the decoding routines
and your *rendering routines* to display the results (their will NOT be
available as in generic CPU-based decoding case!).

Sorry I can not help you with code because I don't want to use ugly
system/vendor APIs in my player
but you can look on some other open-source applications to fish ideas.
As I remember mythtv can use vdpau within FFmpeg.
Kirill Gavrilov,
Software designer.
<kirill at sview.ru>