[Libav-user] H264 1 frame delay.

Victor Moray victor.moray at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 22:50:15 CET 2011

Hi everyone!

This is my first post. I'm using FFMPEG through VLC to receive and decode
H264 video from a hardware video encoder over RTSP on a local network. The
hardware encoder manufacturer provides an ActiveX control which is used to
receive and decode video from the encoder, and the latency is minimal.
However, through FFMPEG there is always a 1 frame delay between what the
manufacturer-provided control shows, and what VLC shows. The effects of the
frame delay are more prevalent when video is being streamed at low frame
rates. (e.g. at 3 fps, the delay is 333.3 ms).

I have completed extensive investigations with VLC and have reduced all
relevant buffers to zero. My attention now turns to FFMPEG. I was wondering
if anyone could tell me whether there exists whole frame buffers which can
be configured in the source code.

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated,
Vic.