[Libav-user] High CPU load for parsing MPEG-TS

Andrea3000 andrea3000 at email.it
Thu Nov 17 21:48:15 CET 2011

I use latest git version of FFmpeg API as parser in my
media player app (not as decoder).
It works great with every format/codec/muxer/ecc..

The only annoying thing is that with around 50%-60% of
MPEG-TS file that I've tested, CPU stays over 60% just
for parsing data.
If I remux the movie file with tsMuxer
(without re-encoding and using the same container),
the problem disappears and CPU usage is below 5%.

I've never seen this issue with FFmpeg-mt versions
prior to 0.6. I don't know about versions in beetwen
because I jumped from FFmpeg-mt 0.5.x to latest
FFmpeg git repository.
And this is not the only strange thing. If I don't allow
FFmpeg to seek through the file to correctly allocate
AVFormatContext and to identify all the available
streams, it does find only the first streams
(main video track and audio tracks) and not all the PGS
subtitles tracks and secondary video track, but the
high CPU usage problem does not appear!

What is going on here? Am I missing something?

Regards

Andrea