[Libav-user] Is an avfilter applied before encoding/decoding or after that

Robert Krüger krueger at lesspain.de
Fri Nov 18 11:08:58 CET 2011

On Nov 18, 2011, at 10:58 , Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:

> Harry Ma <hooxer at ...> writes:
>
>> I wonder when a avfilter is applied? is it applied before encoding/decoding or
>> after that?
>
> I don't think a (video) filter could do anything useful if it is not applied
> after decoding and before encoding.

Hmm, I've had one use case and that was to have something like the setpts filter when remuxing, which is helpful in some cases when conforming video and all I could come up with was to hack it into ffmpeg by adding a command line option but I don't know how many such use cases exist to decide whether it justifies a design change (just assuming it would probably require a design change).

Regards,

Robert