[Libav-user] Unable to compile i386 compatible ffmpeg dylibs on Mac OS X

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Thu Nov 24 11:19:47 CET 2011

Simon Daniels <simondaniels23 at ...> writes:

> Thanks guys but omitting -fomit-frame-pointer in the last gcc call or
> replacing it with -fno-omit-frame-pointer resulted in the same error
> (trying both gcc and clang).

[...]

> make V=1 of clang is:
> clang -m32 -I. -I"/Users/user/Downloads/ffmpeg-0.8.7" -D_ISOC99_SOURCE
> -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -DPIC -DHAVE_AV_CONFIG_H
> -std=c99 -mdynamic-no-pic -fomit-frame-pointer -fPIC -g
> -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wall -Wno-parentheses -Wno-switch
> -Wdisabled-optimization -Wpointer-arith -Wredundant-decls
> -Wno-pointer-sign -Wcast-qual -Wwrite-strings -Wtype-limits -Wundef
> -Wmissing-prototypes -Wno-pointer-to-int-cast -O3 -fno-math-errno
> -fno-signed-zeros -mllvm -stack-alignment=16 -Qunused-arguments  -MMD
> -c -o libavcodec/h264_cabac.o libavcodec/h264_cabac.c

This does not look as if you omitted -fomit-frame-pointer or replaced it with
-fno-omit-frame-pointer ;-(

Please:
Configure with one of the mentioned configure lines (either gcc or clang, it is
possible that one of them fails at another point in the compilation, to save
time you can test this preliminary with configure --disable-decoder=h264)

Run make (it fails)

Run make V=1

Copy everything from "gcc"/"clang" to "libavcodec/h264_cabac.c" and paste it
into your shell. Add -fno-omit-frame-pointer to the end (this should be
sufficient since iirc later compiling options overwrite earlier ones) / remove
-fomit-frame-pointer from the pasted command (this may actually not work because
I believe -O3 implies -fomit-frame-pointer) / replace -fomit-frame-pointer with
-fno-omit-frame-pointer. Press enter. If the compilation does not succeed,
report back, there are other things you can try.

Run make.

Carl Eugen

PS: Please use current git head, the releases are only for distributors, and I
suspect you are a user.