[Libav-user] Add MPEG-2 user data or H.264 SEI metadata while remuxing

jettoblack jettoblack at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 23:23:27 CEST 2012

Hello,
I'm imagining a program that will accept an incoming MPEG-2 transport
stream, demux, add some metadata to the video packets, then remux and
write/stream back out.  There will be no decompression or recompression of
the a/v codec data.

For MPEG-2 video, the data would be added as MPEG-2 user data packets
(appended to each video frame, in frame encoded order).  H.264 in MPEG-2 TS
would use SEI RBSP packets.  Audio or other packets would be passed through
to the remuxed stream without any changes.

I can generate the bytes for the actual metadata content, but I'm not sure
how to get this appended within a user data packet or SEI packet to the
video frames while remuxing.

Does anyone have some ideas, example code or maybe some pointers on where to
look to get started?  Thanks!