[Libav-user] http live streaming implementation in ffmpeg

Chinos niulicheng at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 10:13:23 CEST 2012

hi everyone,
I am recently undertaking a project about http live streaming.
When I read ffmpeg code, I see both hls.c and hls_protocol.c are included in
ffmpeg-0.11. It looks like that hls.c implement http live streaming as a
demuxer, while hls_protocol.c implement http live streaming as a IO
protocol. I have no idea which implementation is better.

Then I see a log in ffmpeg:
"Using the hls protocol is discouraged, please try using the hls demuxer
instead. The hls demuxer should be more complete and work as well as the
protocol implementation. "
It seems like that the ffmpeg developers considers hls demuxer as the better
implementation.

In my point of view, the structure of hls protocol is more clear. I am
confused about this.
So would anyone explain the advantage of hls demuxer? Is it more powerful or
efficient? or just because it is with less bugs and more stability?

Thanks