[Libav-user] How can i suspend ffmpeg's file reading?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 11:32:15 CET 2012

Hello Jack

How do you launch ffmpeg and on what os? If you have a process id for it, you could sigstop/suspend it while you wait for data, but that too would of course halt the playing. I've never tried, but I suspect that it would however resume playing when you sigcont/release the process.
Alternatively, buffer your stream, measuring download speed and expected bitrate during playback, so that you can launch ffmpeg only when you have downloaded enough content to be reasonably sure that you won't catch up with the download head. This is more or less how QuickTime handles streaming playback, but it isn't failure proof against net congestion or other unforeseen events.

René