[Libav-user] Decoding HD videos on iPad devices

Gohar Hovhannisyan gohar_h at instigatemobile.com
Thu Dec 13 13:57:32 CET 2012

Dear FFMpeg team,

We are creating player for iPad and using FFMPeg with libavcodec to decode video frames.

FFMpeg helped to process a lot of formats and really reduced the development time.

Unfortunately with HD videos we experience a poor performance and the video playback is breaking up.
According to profile stats the decode time is taking longer then the playback

Profile shows ~100% CPU usage on the call to avcodec_decode_video2 function. In the same time the GPU is almost not used.

We wonder whether it is possible to perform decoding on iPad GPU to speed up decoding process (by compiling it with special flags, or with some patches) or run it parallel on dual core (iPad2) / quad-core (new iPad) or are there any other methods to speed up decoding process?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Gohar