[Libav-user] Decode H264 video using ffmpeg through Xuggler

Julien Baumgarten j.baumgarten at netvisio.com
Tue Feb 14 09:58:20 CET 2012

I got this error when I use Xuggler to decode one video (Click here to start the download ...) that I encode myself using Xuggler too. I set the baseline, frame rate, frame size, the number of pictures in group of pictures, the pixel type, the bit rate and a preset but the decode fail.

I decided to try to encode and decode the video only by using ffmpeg software (ffmpeg and ffplay) and using a RED5 server.
Encode command line:
/usr/local/xuggler/bin/ffmpeg -i ~/Desktop/The\ Simpsons\ Movie\ -\ Trailer.mp4 -re -vcodec libx264 -vpre ultrafast -vpre baseline -g 60 -vb 150000 -strict experimental -acodec copy -f flv rtmp://10.120.1.90/oflaDemo/test123

Decode command line to save the result in a flv file:
/usr/local/xuggler/bin/ffmpeg -i rtmp://10.120.1.90/oflaDemo/test123 -acodec copy -vcodec copy -y toto.flv

Decode command line to display the result on the screen:
/usr/local/xuggler/bin/ffplay -i rtmp://10.120.1.90/oflaDemo/test123

The problem is:
- The quality is disgusting in the flv file. I assume that comes from the ultrafast preset but
- FFPLAY play 2 or 3 frames and stop but continue to play the sound => So it does not work
- My software gives me the "no frame!" error

If someone has an idea...  :)

Yours sincerely,
Julien