[Libav-user] Help Required - FFmpeg usage in own product

Phil Turmel philip at turmel.org
Thu Feb 23 02:09:24 CET 2012

On 02/22/2012 06:18 AM, Zeeshan Mahmood wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> Can you quickly tell me is there any problem if I use FFmpeg executable
> file (without modifying and providing source code) in my own software,
> which will NOT  be available as FREE for its customers?

If you aren't shipping FFmpeg with your software, you can do as you
please.  But that doesn't sound like what you are asking.

If you *are* shipping FFmpeg with your software, you must follow either
the GPL or the LGPL, depending on the options you compiled in.  In either
case, you have to provide or offer to provide the FFmpeg source code you
used to build your binary.

> Please help with legal issues,  before I get into it.

Of course, I Am Not A Lawyer--you might want to pay one for real advice.
You can also look here:
	http://ffmpeg.org/legal.html

Phil