[Libav-user] Using ffmpeg.exe in a project (non-commercial)

Phil Turmel philip at turmel.org
Thu Feb 23 13:07:01 CET 2012

On 02/23/2012 04:05 AM, John Dexter wrote:
> On 23 February 2012 01:19, Phil Turmel <philip at turmel.org> wrote:
>> On 02/22/2012 10:53 AM, Benjamin Gamisch wrote:
>> [...]
>>> I would appreciate an answer whether I am allowed to use the FFMPEG.exe file or not.
>>
>> Per your screenshot, probably not.  If you distribute FFmpeg, you must follow the license.  There's no exception for non-commercial use.  You must provide or offer to provide the source code for the version of FFmpeg you ship.
>
> In cases where just the .EXE is distributed and used, isn't standard
> practice simply to include a license.txt which has the GPL license,
> credits use of ffmpeg and provides a link, etc - and to add a notice
> to your in-app credits section, installer wizard, etc if applicable?

I can't say whether it is standard practice, but it is wrong.  If you
distribute, *you* are responsible for the source code of what you
distributed.  If the original app website disappears, or stops carrying
the source for the version you used, you must still be able to deliver
that source to your users.

If you deliver the correct source code with every installer, you don't
have to offer later delivery of the source code.

If you haven't delivered the source in your installer, your copyright
notice in your app can't just be an acknowledgement.  There must
be a link or a contact address where your users can request the source
from *you*.

Finally, whatever the legality, it is at least rude to hijack an open-
source app's website bandwidth to deliver source code to *your* users.

Phil