[Libav-user] ffmpeg and comercial licenses..

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Wed Jan 11 11:24:06 CET 2012

Dan Stuart <dstuart at ...> writes:

> I know that FFmpeg supports libx264.
> However, I want to use this in a commercial product.
> I know you can get a commercial license for
> libx264 from the company CoreCodec,
> and we are planning on paying all the legal patent fees.
>
> Can libx264 be compiled into FFmpeg?
> If not, what are my options?
> Can it peacfully co-exist with
> the LGPL version of FFmpeg libraries?

Yes, but all requirements of the LGPL still apply if you distribute the
binaries. Please read http://ffmpeg.org/legal.html and ignore "notably libx264".
You will have to patch your copy of FFmpeg to be able to fulfil point "1" (you
have to remove the "--enable-gpl" requirement for x264 from configure).

I believe it would be a good idea if you clearly say in your EULA that you
bought a license for x264 but that you distribute FFmpeg under the LGPL.

Carl Eugen