[Libav-user] Wrong frame order/frame hickup in output video

Drabner drabner at zoobe.com
Thu Jul 5 14:28:43 CEST 2012

It seems like the first post didn't work, so I post on the mailing list
again, sry if that causes spam!

Hey,

I am encoding frames from a 3D engine to an mp4 video with sound.
Usually, the video (and input image) size is 640x360. With that size, there
is no problem.

But when I want to encode a 320x180 video (from input of 320x180), the
resulting videos are sometimes(!!) stuttering, jumping back and forth in
their frame order.

For encoding, I followed this tutorial, so the vital parts for encoding in
my functions look like that: http://dranger.com/ffmpeg/tutorial01.html

As I said, this only happens in the small video size, never in the big one.
I also made sure that the frames from the engine always come in in the
correct order and are always encoded in the correct order.
The ffmpeg encoding takes place in its own thread, but that shouldn't matter
(as it works with bigger video).

If I insert a Sleep(10) before encoding each frame, the problem does not
appear any more (or very, very rare).

Any ideas what could cause this?