[Libav-user] variable length buffer

Rafael Biz rafael.b.biz at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 15:46:13 CEST 2012

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if ffmpeg can really read frames from a
variable-length buffer because AVIOContext seems to be designed to
work just with static-length buffers. Is that true? If not, which is
the set of functions that handle it?

I have successfully used the ffmpeg libraries (DLLs) for decoding
videos files, however, I can't do it on a network context because the
buffer of AVIOContext needs to be increased and consumed continuously.
As a workaround, I found out that it is possible by allocating a new
AVIOContext every time that the application receives data from
network, however, this solution has poor performance and causes memory
fragmentation. As a solution, I would like to be able to manipulate
the buffer's size and position properly, if possible.

Do you have any idea or suggestion that could help me?

Many thanks,
Rafael Bernstorff Biz