[Libav-user] mov demuxer: avformat_seek_file with AVSEEK_FLAG_BYTE

Beni Weine onlineweinies at bluewin.ch
Tue Jul 10 16:22:05 CEST 2012

Hi all,

We need to improve the seeking
capabilities (performance) in our video player.
The video player concurrently
manages 5
different video files (MP4),

and plays them in a time synchronized manner.
Each video file has a time
index file (proprietary)
which includes among other things a time stamp and
the corresponding byte position of the H.
264 data (I frame).

Pure time-based seeking is not an option
due to performance reasons.

The same player can
handle MPEG-2 file.
They come with a video time index file as well.
We have amazing results with bytes-wise seeking
(calling
avformat_seek_file with AVSEEK_FLAG_BYTE).
It seems that the mpegtsraw demuxer (libavformat/mpegts.c) is
doing that
pretty good.

Different story with the mov demuxer:
To me it looks that the current implementation of

libavformat/mov.c does not support
byte-wise seeking.

Having a look into the mov.c confirms my impression.

It
there a possibility that this feature
will be added to the mov demuxer any time soon?

Thanks and best regards,
Beni