[Libav-user] Trying to create a DVDSUB (.sub) according to Specification

Nicolas George nicolas.george at normalesup.org
Wed Jul 25 00:08:41 CEST 2012

Le septidi 7 thermidor, an CCXX, Wagner Patriota a écrit :
> in order to try to create a .sub file by myself.

What kind of file are you speaking of exactly? Files with the .sub extension
may be MicroDVD files, which are simple text files with frames numbers, or
part of a VOBSUB file, but the other half, the index (.idx) is missing.

> The thing is: I need to convert .SRT files .SUB files... but the bitmaps
> inside the .SUB file must be 8-bit color. I couldn't find a free ou cheap
> software for this, so I decided to create it by myself. But FFmpeg still
> doesn't recognize my .SUB file.

The complete console output would be useful to diagnose anything.

> Question 1:
> Is this document really the one I think I need? I mean, I followed every
> bit of it but FFmpeg doesn't recognize correctly...

Probably not. This document is about DVB subtitles. There are not many
formats that can contain DVB subtitles. The nearest I can guess is VOBSUB,
which is mostly made of DVD subtitles. There is only one letter different,
but this is an entirely different format.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George