[Libav-user] Re : ALAC codec I am not sure it's really lossless

kurdy_ch-forum at yahoo.fr kurdy_ch-forum at yahoo.fr
Sat Jun 2 10:34:55 CEST 2012

Hi,

As flac is lossless the number of frame and md5 code of the track
should be the same.

But I did the test you propose, I extract from the
flac the wav and I launch:

avconv -i file.wav -acodec alac file.m4a

and surprise ! I got an Apple lossless audio

What I was suspecting is true  the conversion from flac to m4a using alac codec create an acc 128 !!!

Conclusion the command below create an acc even using codec alac I think this a bug.

avconv -i file.flac -acodec alac file.m4a

Many people using avconv or ffmpeg to create Apple lossless from flac got acc 128

My version is avconv

version 0.8.1-4:0.8.1-0ubuntu1, Copyright (c) 2000-2011 the Libav developers