[Libav-user] Decoding a H.264 stream from TCP

Michael Bradshaw mbradshaw at sorensonmedia.com
Fri Jun 22 22:12:21 CEST 2012

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 2:02 PM, Jeremy Graham <jgraham at cs.unc.edu> wrote:
> In either case, I was actually interested in decoding frames as they appear
> in the network socket so that I can get the images from the camera to do
> some real-time processing.  With that in mind, would you happen to have any
> advice?

If you want to use libav* to decode the video in your own program, you
certainly can do that. When you open a "file" you pass it a URL (if
it's just a file on your local hard drive, you can pass something like
"video.mov" and it will open it with the file protocol). If your
"filename" was something like "http://192.168.1.1:5555" it should open
it just fine, and you can decode incoming frames like normal.

> My apologizes for the "top post".  Just for my own information, is
> top-posting where you quote a prior message in a thread in your response?

"top posting" is when you quote someone and put your response above
theirs (on top of theirs). Bottom posting (which is what's encouraged
on these mailing lists) is when you quote someone and put your
response below theirs (like Carl and I have done). (Relevant Wikipedia
article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style)

--mbradshaw