[Libav-user] Question with encoding RGB frames into video stream

吴沁凡 wuqinfan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 04:15:56 CET 2012

Hi,

I get some raw frames at 30 fps, each frame contains 640 * 480 RGB pixels.
In order to send such data on network, I want to use libavcodec to encode
such frames into video stream.

First, since the bandwidth can be up to 50Mbps or higher and the ARM
Cortex-a9 processer is less powerful than PC, I want some simple method to
save compute resources.
Is motion jpeg the best choice?

Second, I read some code in ffmpeg/libavcodec/mjpegenc.c, it seems that
only PIX_FMT_YUVJ420P and PIX_FMT_YUVJ422P are supported.
What is the difference between YUV420P and YUVJ420P? I tried google but
found few items about YUVJ.

Thanks very much for help.