[Libav-user] thread_count = 1 massively breaks reads

Thomas Worth dev at rarevision.com
Wed Mar 28 09:28:08 CEST 2012

What has changed in the past couple months that would cause
av_read_frame() to return negative values well before the end of the
file if thread_count is set to 1 for the video? This is the behavior I
get with both MOV and MTS files with H.264 compressed video. If I set
thread_count to anything higher than 1 (or not set at all, using the
automatically detected thread count), it works fine. I have read code
I've been using successfully for over a year and now it breaks when
the thread count is set to 1. It used to be that av_read_frame() would
only return negative values at the end of the file, or EOF - number of
threads if thread_count was greater than 1.

Is there something else I need to do that I didn't before?