[Libav-user] Swscale: Interlaced 4:2:2 to interlaced 4:2:0

Carl Lindqvist lulebo at gmail.com
Thu May 24 09:16:54 CEST 2012

2012/5/24 Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at>

> Alex Cohn <alexcohn at ...> writes:
>
> > In ffmpeg, deinterlace is performed by avcodec (imgconvert.c
> > avpicture_deinterlace)
>
> This deinterlacer is old, if you have no license issue, please
> use yadif.
> (If you have a license issue, contact the developer.)
>
> Aren't there filters to "interleave" (if this is the correct word,
> I mean putting the fields above each other) the interlaced
> content, scale it, and "de-interleave" it again?
>
> Carl Eugen

You are not understanding the issue. The issue is not deinterlacing
anything, it is producing correct 4:2:0 frames for encoding interlaced.

Interlaced 4:2:0 is different than progressive 4:2:0. The chroma samples
are interpolated from rows 1 and 3, 2 and 4 etc instead of 1 and 2, 3 and 4
and so on. This is to keep chroma samples in the same field.

My question is if it is possible to create interlaced 4:2:0 in a correct
way.

/Carl Lindqvist