[Libav-user] record and stream at the same time

Steve Hart steve.hart at rtsw.co.uk
Sat Nov 3 17:33:30 CET 2012

Hi,
I am trying to encode a movie to disk and at the same time make this
available to a process for playing. I also need to be able to seek within
that stream. Think of a disk recorder.

I have tried a separate encode and decode i.e. I encode and save to disk in
one thread and open and decode the same file in another thread. This  does
not seem to work since av_read_frame stalls after reading a number of
frames. If I close and reopen the file it will read a bit further and then
stop. I ensure that the decode never tries to read past what is being
written.

I don't know if this is a sensible approach and would appreciate any
comments or pointers to a better one.

Steve